Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Marketers are sending fewer emails & getting better open rates [SendGrid]
Mar 2, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
SendGrid says email marketers are sending an average of 8.1 emails per month this year, down from 2016’s 9.8 sends per-month.
- The Future is Now: Ramp up your Google Shopping ROI
Mar 2, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Product Listing Ads (PLAs) – whether desktop or mobile – have taken the majority of retailers’ budgets and are driving search advertising growth. But mastering Google Shopping campaigns requires more than just a basic understanding of bid management and product feeds.
- Using AMP? A known bug is probably screwing up your Google Analytics
Mar 2, 2017 by Danny Sullivan
Issue can cause visitors to be overcounted, single sessions to be divided into separate ones, and more.
- Better collaboration is the best martech investment you can make
Mar 2, 2017 by Justin Dunham
Columnist Justin Dunham reminds us that our marketing technology solutions are only as good as the processes and culture that surround them.
- The value of search across the modern consumer decision journey
Mar 2, 2017 by Christi Olson
Columnist Christi Olson of Bing shares research on how search fits into the overall buyer’s journey, reaching consumers at all stages in the funnel.
- What to expect when you attend SMX West. Here’s your special preview!
Mar 2, 2017 by Chris Sherman
SMX West is every SEO and SEM’s dream. Join us March 21–23 for a tactic-packed agenda with more than 100 dynamic and authoritative speakers, keynotes, exceptional networking and more.
- Do you know what a mobile crawl of your site looks like?
Mar 2, 2017 by Eric Enge
Columnist Eric Enge discusses the implications of Google’s impending “mobile-first” index, using a case study to illustrate some of the challenges that webmasters and Google alike will face in implementing this change.
- From algorithms to advertising: 7 steps to introducing AI to marketing
Mar 2, 2017 by Tomer Naveh
Contributor Tomer Naveh provides a simplified look at how artificial intelligence (AI) is applied to automate digital marketing programs from start to finish.
- Denny’s ‘zoom in’ tweet is selling like hotcakes with more than 75K retweets, 100K likes & 5K new followers
Mar 2, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Denny’s tweet instructing followers to “zoom in on the syrup” has quickly become the brand’s most popular tweet of all time.
- Pro tips for every Facebook visual ad type
Mar 2, 2017 by Brad O’Brien
From carousel ads to dynamic ads to video ads and more, columnist Brad O’Brien offers tips on how you can increase performance for Facebook ads of any variety.
- 3 steps to take your influencer marketing to the next level
Mar 2, 2017 by Blaise Lucey
How can your message be heard through all the social media noise? Columnist and Bitly senior content strategist Blaise Lucey discusses the benefits of micro-influencers and how to ensure that they deliver.
- Instagram Story ads now sold globally as standalone placements through Facebook’s self-serve tools
Mar 1, 2017 by Tim Peterson
An advertiser can buy only Instagram’s Story inventory and no other Instagram or Facebook inventory, while still using Facebook’s targeting.
- Report: How industry leaders are using email marketing in e-commerce
Mar 1, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
When you are determining the right email marketing strategy for your business, it’s natural to wonder how the industry leaders are conducting their campaigns. After all, if they’re on top, then they must be doing everything right. Right?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- 7 Challenges Snapchat’s Parent Company Has to Overcome Before It Can Be Wall Street’s “New Facebook”, Adweek
- Twitter partners with ESL and Dreamhack to stream live e-sports, The Verge
- Yahoo cookie hacks affected 32 million accounts, CEO forgoes bonus, Ars Technica
- 10 Grammar and Proofreading Tools for Content Marketers, Duct Tape Marketing
- 2017 Predictions: The Intersection of Native Advertising and Contextual Commerce, MarTech Advisor
- 7 Questions to Ask When Brainstorming Content Ideas for Marketing, Small Biz Trends
- 9 Mind-Blowing Content Curation Tools to Boost Your Traffic and Engagement, Jeff Bullas
- Content Marketing Trust: 3 Opportunities You Can’t Miss, Heidi Cohen
- How a Minimalist Content Strategy Earns You More with Less, Convince and Convert
- How-Tos For Enterprises to Put Their Content Marketing Strategies in Place and Drive Conversions, MarTech Advisor
- Identity Matters: How Content Strategists Build Trust and Loyalty, Content Marketing Institute
- It’s Time to Pump You (and Your Content) Up, Copyblogger
- The 6 A/B Testing Mistakes That Stifle Conversions, Simply Measured
Copywriting, Design & Usability
Display & Contextual Advertising
- Top Considerations for Domain Names and Hosting Providers, Small Biz Trends
- 7 Essential Seasonal Social Media Tips For eCommerce, Social Media Explorer
- Amazon cloud disruption slowed many top retail websites, Retail Dive
- An inside look at Amazon’s housewares business, Internet Retailer
- Cross-Border Buys Boost UK Retail Ecommerce, eMarketer
- How AI Is Challenging Ecommerce Relationships, CMS Wire
- 4 Ways to Make Customers Crave Your Emails, Constant Contact
- 5 ways luxury brands can get email marketing right, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Brand relationships: Logo design + email marketing, VerticalResponse
- Getting Brave With Testing and Triggered Automation, blog.mailchimp.com
- Oscars 2017 Email Report, Movable Ink Blog
General Internet Marketing
- Small Business Marketing Should Focus on Authenticity, Small Biz Trends
- What Will 2017 Bring for Digital Marketing?, MarTech Advisor
Internet Marketing Industry
- Conversable Launches AQUA to Help Businesses Prioritize Customer Questions and Modify Bot Intelligence in Real-Time, PR Web
- DiscoverOrg Announces New Enhancements to Salesforce® App, DiscoverOrg
- YuMe Collaborates with Nielsen as First Programmatic Platform to Bring to Market Campaign-Level Audience Measurement for Connected TV, YuMe
- 3 Ways Tech Can Help You Hack Social Selling, Search Engine Journal
- Facebook Messenger now offers a more dynamic persistent menu for bot developers, VentureBeat
- THE HACKIES: Conquering Middle Earth with marketing technology, Chief Marketing Technologist
- Why business chatbots must understand customer intent, VentureBeat
- Can Western apps break through to China?, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Location Data 2.0? How Goodwill, Others Are Ushering It in, AdAge
- Amazon explains big AWS outage, says employee error took servers offline, promises changes, Geekwire
- Huzzah! Gmail now accepts attachments up to 50 MB, TechCrunch
- Smarter sharing in chat with Google Allo, The Official Google Blog
- 30 Proven Tips For Building Trust & Rapport With Clients, Seer Interactive
- Brands in crisis: A practical guide for regaining control, Retail Dive
- How Brands Can Restore Credibility in 2017, AdAge
- So Your Customer Wrote a Nice (or Neutral) Review: Now What?, CMS Wire
- 3 Timesaving Tools for Social Media Marketers, Social Media Examiner
- 7 Top Tips To Boost Your Social Media Traffic, Search Engine People
- Get More Social With Answers Now, Yahoo Search
- How Instagram Galleries Could Change Instagram Forever, MediaKix
- Instagram Brings in AdParlor to Add Brand Ads to Its Stories Section, MarTech Advisor
- LinkedIn Ad Tests: It’s Time to Actually Run One, The AdStage Blog
- Popular & Effective Social Media for Micro-Influencers, MarketingProfs
- Social Media: Business Faux Pas, Compukol
- Social Presence Goes Beyond the Screen, Adweek
- Can YouTube TV Take Off?, AdExchanger
- Facebook’s latest video shift irks news publishers, Digiday
- Header bidding has a video problem, for now, Digiday
- How Long Should Your Facebook Videos Be?, NewsWhip
- How to Make Videos Search Engines Love, The Blog Herald
- More Marketers Integrating Video with Customer Journey Mapping Efforts, KoMarketing